Mood: Sustainable Sad Hulk
Media: Harmontown Podcast
The most Frequently Asked Questions I get about my work fall into three categories; Production, Price and Ghost. Let tackle a few of those Questions.
How long did it take you to make that?
- For my typical faceted mugs/bowls with sprigs and a handle I spend about a combined hour per mug, between throwing it on the wheel, decorating and glazing.
- My faceted tea-pots take about 3 hours each.
- The work that is completely covered in sprigs like my Indiegogo mugs or my Steampunk Gear Mugs, the RusTeaPots, and my larger works are totally variable but the mugs average about 3 hours total.
Below is a short stop motion animation I did with the help of my son Alex showing the construction process of the TrespassersEye Cthulhu Mugs.
Do you carve all of those decorations yourself?
- Yes, I carve original designs and make a mold from that carving. The mold is then used to create sprigs which are applied to the pottery.
Your mugs/bowls/etc. are all cast from a single mold right?
- No, everything I make is traditionally thrown on the potters wheel, then the handles and sprig decorations are added after as seen in the video above.
Why is your work so expensive?
- Its not actually expensive when compared to other artists or when you consider the time put into each piece. I've been producing work since before I graduated from the Alberta College of Art in 1990, I started making pottery when I was 16, that was 30 years ago. If you've been doing something for 30 years, and are really good at it, wouldn't you want to be paid a proper price for your work.
I can buy a mug for $5 at Walmart, why would I spend $30 on one of your mugs?
- Yes, people have actually said this to me many times.
- *heavy sarcasm alert* Yeah . . . sure . . . those two mugs are exactly alike, I shall only charge $5 a mug from now on. *sarcasm over* (no, my mugs are still $30)
- Walmart, and other similar stores ,sell mostly machine made, impersonal, utilitarian, disposable items by the thousands. I make one of a kind, personal, unique and opulent pieces that people love and take care of.
-My mugs are also twice the size, bad-ass, and if you attend a business meeting with one of my mugs, you win the meeting!
Hey, did you ever . . .?
- Don't even start, Hollywood is not reality, you should know that by now. Except Community. ;-)
Enough FAQ's for now, I'll post more in the future.
I'm also working on a few experimental items in between the Indiegogo TrespassersEye project and regular stock. Some ceramic spoons, new Tea-pots, a portable fire pit and many other things. Head over to my Instagram feed in the right column or my Facebook feed to see some images of work in progress and finished product.
Also a quick shout-out to Moby, yes, that Moby. While I was putting together my little mug animation I was looking around for some copyright free cool music to put in the background and found out that Moby has made a large amount of his music available for free to use for non-profit use. Just head on over to www.mobygratis.com to check it out. An awesome thing for him to do!